We are located on a 250 acre property, which was the site of Canada's first Forestry Station, and which has been operated as a nursery since 1908.
The very moderate micro-climate combined with light sandy soils makes it ideal for field production of bareroot seedlings as well as for growing native seed crops. The nursery was run by the Province of Ontario and produced well over a billion bareroot reforestation seedlings, until 1998 when it was privatized.
Since 2002, the nursery has been operated by ForestCare who has produced millions of high-quality tree seedlings for the forestry sector.
Since 1994, the Pterophylla nursery, located about 5 kilometres west of St. Williams, has been supplying native seed and plants for ecological restoration. Under the management of its owners, Mary Gartshore and Peter Carson, it has grown to be one of the premier conservation nurseries in Ontario.
In 2009, St. Williams Nursery & Ecology Centre was created as a new vision and partnership of ForestCare and Pterophylla to create a company dedicated not only to supplying high quality tree seedlings, but as a science and innovation centre committed to supporting native biodiversity conservation and ecological restoration in Canada and beyond.